by Year 5

books we like

Wednesday, May 16, 2012

Three new books in the library

There's been a whole lot of new books in the library, and I've been reading some of them: three that I can really recommend.

The first is by David Almond. Which is recommendation enough. I love all his other books, especially Skellig and Fire Eaters. This one is good for younger readers as well as older readers. It's called The Boy Who Climbed Into The Moon. This is about a boy who lives in the basement of a tall block of flats and decides one day that he wants to go up to the top and touch the sky. David Almond knows how to create interesting characters and the people that the boy meets are an exotic collection of quirky people. And the boy goes further than simply touching the sky!

Another book I really liked was Small Change For Stuart by an author I hadn't heard of before. It's also an adventure. But this one is a quest too and a puzzle. Stuart, the boy in the book, discovers that his long-dead great uncle was a magician and a maker of magic machines. More important, his great uncle has left a trail of clues to find his mysterious workshop.

But other people are looking for the workshop too. This book kept me turning the pages. I really wanted to find out if Stuart would find the next clue and get to the workshop, even though I knew he must do!

The last of the three books I'm reading at the moment. It's called The Unforgotten Coat, by another author I really like, Frank Cottrell Boyce, who wrote the book and film Millions. Like the other two books, this one is a short easy read, but has lots in it. It's about two Mongolian boys who arrive in a Year 6 class of a school in England. The boys really are very unusual, and there is a bit of a mystery about why they behave the way they do. Highly recommended!

No comments:

Post a Comment